Friday, June 20, 2008

Back and buggier than ever


So it has been a week and I do have something exciting, finally.

Last Saturday I woke up with some stomach discomfort but I soldiered on to my regular run.  I could only make it 3 miles before I was exhausted.  I continued to have stomach pain, cramping, diarrhea, and major muscle aches.  Turns out I had....giardia.  Contracted from my new dog.  Sweet!  Giardia is an internal parasite, a protozoa.  It is widely known among hikers because the general mode of transmission to the primate types is via drinking water, or rather, from drinking water from streams infected with the buggers.  

Two of my dogs had giardia but seemed to have none of the lovely symptoms I developed that included mad chills, sweating, fever, stomach cramps, splarts, and fatigue. I am still tired and a little questionable in the digestion arena but I'm on flagyl, the same thing as my dogs.  Yup, the family that pills together stays together.  I did make it through a workout today and felt pretty good so I'm hoping this is the tail end of it (no pun intended.)

No comments: